This 90 minute workshop provides an overview of the condition of autism and how it may impact students riding the bus. While there are specific intervention procedures in place at home and at school, there is often little if any information available to school bus drivers, aides, and support staff. Participants will learn:
• How to maximize safety for all riders
• How to respond to children who may be experiencing behavior problems
• How to trouble shoot specific problems related to behavior
• Symptoms of autism and how they could potentially manifest on the bus
• How to interface with parents and school staff to make transportation a safe and enjoyable experience
This is appropriate for all transportation staff (not just special education staff), including drivers, transportation aides, and administration.