This workshop is designed to help parents and caregivers of children with special needs plan for life beyond high school. Transition is more than just advancing from one grade to the next. There is so much that parents and school districts can and should do to assure students maximize their potential and have a plan for post-graduation. Whether students are headed for college or other secondary school, employment, or self directed services, there are steps that need to be taken to prepare for increased independence. Attendees will learn about:
- Addressing transition needs through the IEP;
- Developing life goals and vision statements
- How to make the process meaningful
- Accessing adult services (including Self Directed Services)
- SSI/Medicaid eligibility/Special Needs Trusts
It's never too early to plan!